What causes painful cramps and stiffness in hands?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am having a problem with my hands drawing inward and stiffening up. I can not stop them from doing this. It starts with my thumbs.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible tetany

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Looking at that description of your symptoms one likely explanation is tetany, a sort of involuntary cramp of the muscles, usually in the hands.

The most common cause for tetany is low calcium level. Other electrolytes may also be responsible such as low magnesium or high phosphate levels.

So I believe the initial step in assessing the issue would be some routine blood tests for alteration of electrolyte levels and possible causes, such as blood count, liver and kidney function, blood sugar, thyroid and parathyroid hormone and a complete electrolyte panel.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.