What causes painful burning sensation in chest radiating to arm?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: After having 3 rounds of acid reflux meds in past 7 months, and a film procedure last week of my stomach and upper GI, where I drank crystals and barium, it has been determined that I don't have acid reflux, and my esocophas (sp?) looked good. However, my symptoms mimic acid reflux for over 3 years now. When I take a walk, average speed, I get a painful burning sensation in my mid chest. It occurs within 3 mintues of walking, usually at a slight incline. Antacids sometimes relieve the pain, and sometimes not. The pain sometimes radiates out to both arms. I get a light reflux at night, bed is elevated, but usually take 1-2 antacids every night around 2 am.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get tested for stomach infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

See, a normal barium swallow test doesn't rule out reflux disease totally. Still you might be having acid reflux.

But since you have completed 3 rounds of treatment and still the reflux is recurring , I would recommend you getting tested for stomach infection especially with H.Pylori bacteria.

in that regard I recommend you to get tested with Rapid urease test and revert back with report.

Also ask your doctor for a prescription of Rabeprezole + Levosulpride and use it .

Avoid spicy food , non veg food , carbonated drinks and citrus fruits.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T