What causes painful bumps on armpits after shaving?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I shaved on Friday night under my arms without using water and i was a little hasty. Then Saturday I noticed my underarm was hurting and now there's some swelling and it's uncomfortable. I put some aloe Vera with lidocaine on it last night which made it a little less painful but I don't know what else to do. Should I be more concerned about it or is it just something to do with my shaving?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hydrocortisone, neosporin

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us on HCM.

Its seems you have razor bumps and dermatitis due to shaving.
Nothing to worry as it would be fine soon.
Just apply a cream containing hydrocortisone and neosporin twice a day over affected areas.

Take oral antihistaminics as required.
Cold sponging will help additionally.
Avoid any harsh soap or deoderants over the area.

Hope you will be fine soon.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj