What causes painful bump on left side of upper lip?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have bump on my face just to the left of the upper lip. I have had it for about 11 days, It started out smaller than the size of a pea and grew within a week to about the size of a lima bean. It is not particularly painful (iI'd describe it is very mildly tender) and there was some slight redness over part of it. No radiating lines. I have no fever or other illness. I do not feel the bump on the inside of my mouth. Today it ruptured. Initially there was a bit of blood but now the discharge is clear. I did not notice any pus and there is no foul smell associated with the discharge. Should I be concerned and schedule a visit to my physician?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need a Complete removal of cyst & after care for healing.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for your query under HCM.
A bump on face affects personal appearance so becomes disturbing, though not very much painful. I understand your concern.
* The bean sized bump you have on your face on left side of upper lip, can be due to a couple of causes like- a hair root infection, sebaceous cyst /infection/ an allergy to cosmetics/ insect bite.But in your case, as it had drained only clear fluid- & is minimally tender- it's likely to be sebaceous cyst( Specially after skin trauma following shaving.)
* As it's already opened,& draining clear fluid- what is need of the moment is to express it out completely & to scrape out the lesion completely, as Sebaceous cysts tend to recur, if not removed completely.
- For this you would need help of your family physician. He may refer you to a surgeon if he feels it needful.
- Dressings with antibiotic ointment / oral antibiotic/ anti inflammatory pills may be needful as per doctor' s opinion.
- Vitamin B complex/ Vitamin C .help in early healing. It should heal within a weeks time.
* AS it is just a solitary lesion, had been only for once, I don't think it needs investigations. BUT if the problem recurs/ does not heal in time.. You need to get your blood sugar checked to exclude diabetes ( Diabetes hampers healing)
I hope the answer has provided sufficient information & help to you. Any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale