What causes painful bruising while on Dexamethasone?
My sister is 54, and was diagnosed with stage 3 non-small cell CA of the lung in August of last year. She is currently under Hospice care, but I'm keeping her home with me. She has newly prescribed potassium with an increase in her Lasix. She is also taking dexamethasone, with a 40 lb weight gain in 3 months. No asa or statin drugs. She has just developed non painfull bruising with no apparent injury. Anything we should be concerned with?
appears to be due to dexamethasone
Thanks for your query. Dexamethasone causes fragility of blood vessels, especially when given for long time. This can cause bleed in the skin from trivial trauma.
I think that this is the case in her. For this no specific treatment is required but you may consider reduction of the dexamethasone dose gradually.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow up queries, if any.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes painful bruises on head
- What causes pain while ejculating
- What causes vision loss after taking tobramycin and dexamethasone
- Does dexamethasone cause hair loss
- What causes pain while breathing
- What causes pain while swallowing
- What would cause pain and bruising behind the knee
- Dexamethasone injection causing cloudy and stinky urine
- Does dexamethasone cause moon face
- What causes pain while urination with abnominal pain
- What could a lump in my back be?
- Should chemotherapy be given to a person in final stage of nasopharngeal...
- Sex with sex worker, HPV scare, cancer in men. Test in detect HPV in men ?
- Is atopic dermatitis associated with leukemia ?
- Which tumour markers are used to follow up breast cancer patients?
- How do I know if papillary thyroid cancer has recurred?
- Protruding coronal suture, skull x-ray. Cancer due to radiation?
- How can linitis plastica be treated?
- CA Breast, chemotherapy, CT scan, pulmonary embolism, on acitrom,...
- Can breast cancer spread to thyroid?