• question-icon

What causes painful bruises and lumps on the upper arm after injury?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I fell last night in the bathroom I hit my left upper arm on the sink cabinet ny upper arm is sore bruised and has some lumps is there anything I should do
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Without being able to examine your arm, I'm a bit limited, but the mainstay of a soft tissue injury like what you are describing, assuming there is no bone fracture, is ice, elevation, non-steroidal anti inflammatory medications, and rest.

If you think there could be a fracture (typically there is a lot of pain, and sometimes it looks lumpy or deformed), then it's important to go in (urgent care of ER) and have an x-ray to see what is going on. I'm not sure what you mean by lumps, but if it feels like there are boney protrusions under the skin in the area of the lumps, then do go in to be seen.

Otherwise, elevating the area (best to have it at or above the level of your heart) will help to decrease swelling, and NSAIDs such as ibuprofen can decrease the inflammation and pain. Be sure to eat something before taking ibuprofen, to protect your stomach lining, and don't take it if you have a history of upper GI problems such as ulcers or gastritis. You can take ibuprofen 3 times a day.

Protecting your arm with a sling can help prevent further trauma.

Icing the injured area can help with preventing further inflammation.

If you are feeling more pain rather than a slow recovery, then do go in to be seen.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh