What causes pain with tingling and burning sensation in the hand?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, im XXXX, age 41. For the past year Ive been experiencing pain, tingling and burning in my right hand that would wake me up. In the last 6 months it starts as soon as i lay down and the pain and burning and tingling have increased. In the last 6 weeks i cant hardly sleep because it begins as soon as i lay down and wakes me up atleast every hour and the only way to ease it is rub and get up and move around. last week its begun feeling that way during the day. What could this be and what can i do to get some sleep?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication, Hand surgeon or Neurologist opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

It is advisable to avoid using a thick pillow to lie your head on, as this can cause excess neck flexion which can aggravate a pinched nerve compression in the back of the neck.

You may use a thin pillow. Do get tested for Diabetes as burning sensation can indicate the same. Got may take Tablet Pregabalin 75mg with Methylcobalamin at night for a month, which should help with the symptoms.

Do consult a Hand surgeon or Neurologist in this regard because certain conditions like Cervical rib, Cervical spondylosis, Carpal tunnel syndrome need to be ruled out effectively before focusing on specific treatment for your problem.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar