What causes pain while swallowing and white patches on the tonsils?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: hello doctor, i have had a dull pain when swallowing right below my XXXXXXX apple intermittingly for about 3 to 4 months now. havent had it for days now. i do have some white patches on tonsils and find myself swallowing alot. again pain is dull and only happens on occassion then goes away.
i do suffer from extreme allergies

can you help
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably caused by acid reflux. Try omeprazole and let’s see progress!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this dull pain that you have reported and all the inconveniences this must have caused you. I have reviewed your information fully and this is suggestive of a possible acid reflux disease. This is caused by acid leaving the stomach and returning to the esophagus. As this happens, it causes small burns and as such prone to pains when swallowing. This is best handled with omeprazole 20mg daily and life style modifications such as avoiding alcohol, cigarettes, fatty meals, chocolates, etc. This should normally address the pain within 7-10days. If this fails to happen, I will them recommend further evaluation by endoscopy to look specifically in the throat and esophagus to tel what the cause of this pain is and propose a management plan.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 12 minutes later
Thank you
Was just wondering what would be symptoms if it was a tumor? Would pain be constant

Thank you will start medications
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More severe and constant with difficulties swallowing!

Detailed Answer:

This pain would be constant, severe and accompanied by difficulties swallowing. This is not the case with your and i don’t really want to see you getting worried by this.

I wish you well.