What causes pain while coughing after an injury?

Dr. S K Mishra

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: i fell,backwards, onto my back, while walking up a small hill last sunday. initially my lower back felt "rigid"; it then hurt to cough, sneeze, hiccup, "bear down", and take a deep breath. i woke up this morning with a pulsating pain, like small electric shocks, which makes me feel like i'm not getting enough air, when i breathe.
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
consult a spine specialist/Orthopedician/Neurosurg

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query

You had trauma to back followed by stiffness and pain during coughing, sneezing etc. These may be symptoms of disc prolapse following trauma. However trauma may have bizarre presentations and in such cases it is difficult to pinpoint the diagnosis.

I shall advice you to consult a spine specialist/ Orthopedic surgeon/ Neurosurgeon. Get examined clinically. You may be advised some investigations which may include MRI. If problems are subtle you may require conservative management only.

Do not worry. Spine problems are treatable. Consult doctor. Hope I was able to answer your query. Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj