What causes pain while climbing stairs with history of ACL reconstruction surgery?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had acl reconstruction in December have experienced extreme pain attempting stairs a squatting is pointless. I had another mri several days ago and radiologist has found trochlear chondrosis with full thickness fissuring. I am a law enforcement officer and was injured on duty,but I know my limitations and the pain is terrible as I fear returning with this will be impossible please help!
I also should note that my pt has said she thinks I also have patellar maltracking which has made my acl pt terrible along with the trochlear chondrosis and full thickness fissuring she has stated that another surgery with the amount of atrophy I have would not be advisable.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery seems to be the way out but I would like to see the medical documen

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the details but it would really be appreciable if you could upload some medical document that bears the examination findings of your doctor. It would also be helpful if you could upload the report page of the radiology report. You can do so using the facility on the upper right of this page. In case of the mentioned fissuring, surgery seems to be the way out but the requested details would make things clearer.

I will await your response.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 hours later
here is the radiology report thank you for your help I believe the chondrosis may me causing my pain
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgical intervention is the only option

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I have gone through the reports. There is full thickness chondral fissuring or total breakage of the joint cartilage and this is responsible for the pain. Surgery is the only option. In fact, response to surgery might not be very good and you would have to discuss the plans of treatment with your doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
My doctor said he saw the injury when he did the acl reconstruction.and was somewhat defensive but he wants to do a lateral release and scrapping arthroscopy.my pt is advising against this as she is saying either surgery will not correct the pain.
Brief Answer:
It is really hard to provide a solution in this specific case

Detailed Answer:
Even I have a significant amount of doubt whether surgery would be able to relieve the pain. But there is nothing better that I can suggest. Total knee replacement seems out of place. So the only alternative is to discuss with your orthopedician.
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 minutes later
can this type of injury have occured when I ruptured acl because the pain below my knee when ascending stairs has been there since day of acl injury which was cause by a twisting stop at full sprint.thank you very much for your time.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hard to comment when exactly did it occur. Could be during ACL rupture.

Detailed Answer:
Although the injury could have occurred when the ACL got damaged, but the force required to break a cartilage is reasonably high and the rupture could have occurred at some other time as well.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 26 minutes later
thank you for your answer.I am just confused about my injury because I have never had medical treatment for either of my knees and have never had any other injury also is knee replacement out because of my age?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be due to age related degenerative changes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking back.

I understand your situation but it is hard to determine the predictors like that. Unless I am able to look at your X-rays, it is hard to comment whether the damage was due to your cartilage getting eaten away due to age. However, I seriously doubt if that is the case. Being overweight could have a role to play. Some twisting movement of the knee, sometime in the past, whether accidental or just a part of daily activities, could have caused it. It is hard to comment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha