What causes pain when bending knee from sitting to standing position?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Having pain when bending left knee from sitting to standing position. Also noticed red spot on inside of the knee. Does not hurt when sitting and has mild swelling.
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation in the knee joint.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question and the picture.

Your knee does look red on the inside and swollen overall.

The redness and swelling are signs of inflammation in the skin or the knee joint itself and this has a number of causes some of which are more significant than others.

Blood work, X-rays and sometimes a tap of the joint to get fluid and send it to the lab are required.

This could represent a bacterial infection of the skin or knee joint causing cellulitis or septic arthritis respectively. This is the most significant problem that could be affecting your knee joint. Cellulitis would be treated with intravenous antibiotics and septic arthritis by washing the knee joint out and then treating with antibiotics.

This could be a inflammatory arthritis of the knee joint such as gout. This is treated with anti-inflammatory medication in the acute stage and then preventative drugs in the long term.

Sometimes something as simple as a bug bite can cause these type of symptoms. This will often improve with an antihistamine drug.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes