What causes pain under the right ribcage?
For past 1.5 months I am having pain under my right rib-cage. I visited my family physician who asked me to undergo blood test for Sugar, Cholesterol , Hemoglobin and various other parameters. Also, I underwent ultrasound scanning of chest, abdomen etc. All the test results are normal. He asked various questions and ruled out possible appendicitis. So my doctor suspected it could be because of gastritis and prescribed pills for the same. Whilst, after 3-4 days, pain reduced but never stopped completely.
Now, yesterday on-wards it has increased drastically. Now, I am not sure what this could be and what should be my next course of action.
Need more information
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.
1. What medication did your doctor prescribe for gastritis?
2. Do you take any painkiller medications ( for joint pain or body ache)?
3. Do you have the habit of smoking and drinking alcohol?
4. Does you pain decrease after taking food?
5. Was endoscopy done?
Kindly get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion.
Thank you for your response.
1. My doctor prescribed me Pan-40 (Pantodac)
2. I do not take any pain killer
3. I do not smoke but drink once in 2 months some times once in 3 months
4. My pain does not increase after taking food. In-fact I get relief when I use hot water bag on right ribs
5. Endoscopy is not done
Please note just now I returned from my doctor and his current diagnosis is pain is due to muscle spasm. Now he has prescribed Rozo-20 and Dolowin-plus.
Answer given below
Pain on the right below the rib cage could be due to gallbladder issues, liver issues or acidity related.
Ultrasound and blood tests ruled out gallbladder and liver related issues.
If it is acidity related, then Pan-40 would have provided relief. But since you dont find any relief with it , the pain is increasing and that you get relief with hot water bag, muscle pain is more likely as told by your doctor.
You can continue with his prescription.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Intense pain under ribcage on lying on one side cause
- What are reasons for severe pain under right ribcage
- Can erosive esophagitis cause pain under ribcage
- What could cause frequent fluttering feeling in ribcage under nipple
- Cause of lower right ribcage cramps
- What causes pain below the left ribcage when i eat
- What causes tightness under the breast and ribcage
- What causes painful cramps on the ribcage
- What does lump on ribcage causing pain indicate
- What causes burning sensation in ribcage
- Will nissen fundoplication help in minimising GERD and LPR symptoms?
- Had a marker for Hep c. Continue taking Lipitor?
- On klavox. Had severe stomach cramping and diarrhoea. What could it be?
- Having tailbone pain. What could be done?
- Having motion problem after taking IBSET tablet. What could be the reason?
- Taking mesalamine for mild ulcerative colitis and elevated ALT. What are...
- Is it safe to remove gall bladder surgically for gall stones?
- Are hemorrhoids linked to poor functioning of liver?
- Pain in lower left side of stomach . What could this be?
- What are the findings from the report?