question-icon

What causes pain under the right ribcage?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jul 2014
Question: Hi I am 48 years old male living in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Height 5'5", 65 KG.
For past 1.5 months I am having pain under my right rib-cage. I visited my family physician who asked me to undergo blood test for Sugar, Cholesterol , Hemoglobin and various other parameters. Also, I underwent ultrasound scanning of chest, abdomen etc. All the test results are normal. He asked various questions and ruled out possible appendicitis. So my doctor suspected it could be because of gastritis and prescribed pills for the same. Whilst, after 3-4 days, pain reduced but never stopped completely.

Now, yesterday on-wards it has increased drastically. Now, I am not sure what this could be and what should be my next course of action.

Please help.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. What medication did your doctor prescribe for gastritis?
2. Do you take any painkiller medications ( for joint pain or body ache)?
3. Do you have the habit of smoking and drinking alcohol?
4. Does you pain decrease after taking food?
5. Was endoscopy done?

Kindly get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion.
Dr.R.K
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini (2 hours later)
Doctor,

Thank you for your response.
1. My doctor prescribed me Pan-40 (Pantodac)
2. I do not take any pain killer
3. I do not smoke but drink once in 2 months some times once in 3 months
4. My pain does not increase after taking food. In-fact I get relief when I use hot water bag on right ribs
5. Endoscopy is not done

Please note just now I returned from my doctor and his current diagnosis is pain is due to muscle spasm. Now he has prescribed Rozo-20 and Dolowin-plus.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini (22 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
Pain on the right below the rib cage could be due to gallbladder issues, liver issues or acidity related.
Ultrasound and blood tests ruled out gallbladder and liver related issues.

If it is acidity related, then Pan-40 would have provided relief. But since you dont find any relief with it , the pain is increasing and that you get relief with hot water bag, muscle pain is more likely as told by your doctor.

You can continue with his prescription.

Dr.R.K
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist