What causes pain under the right rib cage?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: I have sharp pains in my ribs under my right arm pit. What is that?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further details

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here..

Please note..

1. Do you have this pain all the time???
Since when did you notice this?

2. Do you have associated symptoms like cough, fever etc?

3. Was there any kind of trauma to that area?

Please answer this
I will be able to help you better
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 1 hour later
I do not have this pain all the time. It comes and goes and occurs in different places in my ribs. I can take a Tylenol and it usually makes the pain go away. I've had these pains occasionally for years and I've dismissed them up until now as low level viral. I don't see how they could be related to some trauma because they are so pin pointed and they occur in different places in my ribs. I have no obvious other symptoms like cough or fever.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Non specific pain..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for getting back..

Please note.

1. Usually, pleuritic pain arising from cough has such pin pointed pain

2. Different parts of ribs with no trauma is pointing towards non specific pain..
And it happens sometimes with no known causes..

Please do these..

A. Take Tylenol whenever you get pain

B. Exercises help, deep breathing exercises and other chest exercises

C. Just inspect your sleeping position. Correct if you find a problem in that..

Hope this helps you.
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back.
Or you can close the question and rate..
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana