question-icon

What causes pain under the rib with lightheadedness?

Posted on Tue, 11 Mar 2014
Question: I have an almost bubble pain under where the ribs meet and mostly slightly to the right of that i also get lightheaded and foggy
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. In the mentioned area pain is usually caused by stomach issues, gallbladder issues, pancreas issues and heart problems. 1.Stomach due to peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation usually give pain after a meal. Nausea, chest burning, starving can be also present. Stomach pain does not radiate to the back. 2. Gallbladder issues (gallstones) or pancreas inflammation usually give upper middle and right abdominal pain which radiates to the back. Nausea and vomiting are very often present. Stool can get whitish and urine darker (due to bile ducts obstruction). 3. Heart problems can give lower middle abdominal pain. Chest burning like pain which radiates to the left arm or jaw, shortness of breath, dizziness can also appear. Depending of the most possible reason abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, urine analysis should be done at first. If peptic ulcer is most possible gastroscopy is necessary. Heart should be checked with ECG. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (2 minutes later)
Thankyou but what about the liver? Im a FORMER pilluser for roughly 8 years
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Liver is an organ which does not give any pain (I know what people and media say). But believe me, liver itself does not give any pain. Bile ducts obstruction, gallbladder inflammation or liver abscess can give "liver" pain. Taking medicines for a long time can destroy some part of the liver (but this must be liver toxic medicines - not all can do that). But believe me, you wont get any pain from that. Even large liver destruction can give no symptoms, and if it will, this will be jaundice, easy bleeding from nose or gastrointestinal tract, ascites, gynecomastia. So liver is not the reason of your symptoms. If you want to get to know about liver condition, please check AST, ALT, GGTP, AP, bilirubin and have abdominal ultrasound. Hope this will help. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (3 minutes later)
That helps alot i been a nervous wreck due to my past way of living. I am sure i did do alot of damage to myself along those years.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, If its about the liver, it can take a lot and forgive. Its because its the only organ which can regenerate. Please note that you may loose 2/3 of your liver and still it will be enough for proper function. When removing a part of liver, after some time it grows back to the previous size. Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon