• question-icon

What causes pain under the rib cage while sneezing or coughing?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: yes i have strong pain in my right side just below my rib cage as well i have had off and on severe pain in my back just under my right shoulder blade? the pain below my rib cage (front side) is very painful when i sneeze or cough or lift something heavy?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pulled intercostal muscles

Detailed Answer:
Pan n ribs can be due to pulled intercostal muscles or it can be due to a cracked rib. One can crack a rib at any age from sneezing. Hence most likely this pain can be due to pulled and strained intercostal muscles.

You need to get a x-ray or preferably a CT scan of the area done which can locate soft tissue injuries very easily. Apply some cold compresses by wrapping ice in a towel and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon