• question-icon

What causes pain under the rib cage in an elderly person?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: my husband has pain under his rib cage. That area is hard to the touch. It began about two hours ago. He ate breakfast about 8:30: eggs, bacon, biscuits, coffee, jam.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be cardiac also.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for query.

Chest pain under ribs in an 80-year-old male has two main differentials-

Firstly, Angina-Heart is supplied by 3 main vessels called coronary artery.
Blockage in any one if these arteries can hamper blood supply to the heart causing severe cardiac ischemia leading to pain in the chest.

I would suggest him to go for some baseline tests of Cardiology like a 12lead EKG, Treadmill test, and 2D echocardiography. They will help us to rule out the possibility of cardiac disease.

Secondly-
Gastritis and Gerd induced cardiac pain. Continuous inflammation of esophagus and erosion of gut but acid causes severe heartburn often felt in the chest as pain usually below ribs.

So initially, please get cardiac clearance once cleared treatment on lines of gastritis would be started.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist