What causes pain under the arm radiating to chest after gallbladder removal?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: In April 2014 I've had my gallbladder removed. For about a month now, I've had a pain under my left arm radiating to my chest and down to my fingers on and off. Since yesterday I have a soar left shoulder blade and the middle of my chest and the shoulder blade hurts badly when I cough. I have read about these conditions all over the internet and it scares me because it can be cancer. Will someone please let me know what this is and what I should be doing.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More Information is required

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your carefully and would like to know further to help you better like-
1. How are your shoulder and neck movement on left side as compare to right side?
2. Do you have a feeling of numbness and tingling sensation in hand?
I hope prior to surgery in April you had a detailed physical examination and blood test to look for any other pathology like enlarged lymph nodes in the axillary region. If not done you may visit a local doctor.
Mean while you may take pain killer like Ibuprofen, muscle relaxant drugs like Thiocolchicoside (prescription only) along with the drugs to reduce acidity like Omeprazole.
Looking forward to your reply.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 15 hours later
Hello Doctor Chugh
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
1. My shoulder and neck movement is OK. It hurts to move it. It is more of a sore feeling than a pain.. For three days now it hurts in the middle of my chest and I feel like I need to cough but when I do, it pains on top of my left shoulder blade and in the middle of my chest.
2. I do have a feeling of numbness and tingling sensation in my left arm and hand.
Today, I took a Tylenol /Extra Strength which has helped a bit.
Prior to surgery in April, I did not have a thorough examination and I will speak to my doctor regarding the tests and medication you've suggested.
Thanks so much again.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve at cervical spine may be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
After going through the whole discussion and your reply, please tell me do you have pain on pressing the ribs near the centre of chest?
The numbness and tingling sensation in hand, could be because of pinched nerve at cervical spine.To confirm that MRI cervical spine is the investigation of choice. Meanwhile, you may have prescription only drug Pregablin to reduce symptoms of pinched nerve.
You may start the medicine as discussed earlier after having a word with your local doctor.
Hope this suffices.