What causes pain under right rib and hig bilirubin level?
Bile ducts obstruction.
Thank you for the query.
From your symptoms and high bilirubin level you are dealing with bile ducts obstruction due to a stone inside. This is more possible if your urine is dark and stool whitish.
CT scan is good for pancreas diagnostics, but stones can be invisible in this test. Ultrasound can sometimes miss the stone as well.
There should be liver tests done including AST, ALT, GGTP, AP. If GGTP and AP will be elevated, ERCP procedure (endoscopic method of bile ducts revision) should be done. If this will be left alone, bile ducts inflammation, liver failure or acute pancreatitis can appear.
And you should not wait with it. Please consult gastroenterologist.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Can you please attach the tests which have been done recently?
If GGTP and AP are low, bile ducts obstruction is hardly possible. But you should have some more tests to find out the reason of high bilirubin. Abdominal CT and liver viral tests should be done.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes persistant elevated bilirubin level
- Cause of pain under ribs causing discomfort
- What causes pain under the right rib cage
- What are the underlying causes for high bilirubin count
- What causes itchingdecreased appetite and elevated bilirubin level
- What causes mild rise in indirect bilirubin levels
- What hereditary diseases cause high bilirubin levels
- Increased bilirubin level causes
- Causes high bilirubin levels in teens
- What causes increased bilirubin level