What causes pain under left rib cage?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Pain just under left rib cage. Started about 10mths ago intermiitently, Last month pain frequency increased. It feels like a lump, but nothing felt physically. When I press my fist hard into the site the pain improves briefly. Often occurs if not eaten for a while. Pain can be so severe I feel sick and at times feel I will pass out, however I never have yet.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Investigations needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Read and understood your history about the pain under left rib cage since 10 months, is intermittent, feels like a lump but not felt, improves on pressing the fist, occurs if not eaten for a while, feel sick and like passing out.

The symptoms are most suggestive of gastritis since it is increasing on empty stomach; can be due to some other problems that need the following investigations.
Since you are suffering for 10 months, it is wise to follow the advise of:
Upper GI endoscopy,
CT scan of the abdomen
Tests of blood urine and stool.
Clinical evaluation and examination and further investigation preferably under the guidance of a Gastroenterologist.

This will give you the most definite diagnosis as suspected and also help rule out other possibilities as costo-chondritis, pancreatitis and so on.

The treatment will obviously depend upon the findings.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to give additional information if any, feel free to ask relevant further queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.