What causes pain under left rib cage?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a dull ache under my left rib cage, almost at the bottom of the ribs. It doesn't hurt to touch it and is not here all the time. Comes and goes. Feels like a a stitch would. If i take big breaths this is when l can feel it slightly or if i push my
stomach out. It doesn't hurt just feels strange. Been like this for two weeks. Male aged 31, feel fit and well apart from the above. i cant exactly pin point the exact location.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be due to gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,

Welcome again to HealthcareMagic.

Your pain looks like that of gastritis to me.

And i usually prescribe my patients with gastritis a course of ppi tablets like omeprazole or pantaprazole, along with a little llifestyle modifications like, avoid tea, coffee, soda drinks, spicy foods, smoking and alcohol. As these all irritates the gastric mucosa and aggrevates the gastritis.

And i would suggest that you follow the same. But for the prescription you need to see a local doctor.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Follow-up: What causes pain under left rib cage? 12 minutes later
Could this last a few weeks ? I have had a little bit of constipation as well, so took some tablets. Could this not be a problem with spleen ? Or something serious ? Thankss

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing serious

Detailed Answer:

Yes gastritis can lasts for few weeks and even months to years.

But your constipation can also cause this type of pain.

So in my opinion, in addition to a ppi, taking a gastrokinetic drug like levosulpride will help you more. But as it is prescription drug, so a visit to your local doctor will be needed.

And eat fiber rich foods like oats, bananas, whole cereals, etc. to releive your constipation.

I don't think that this has anything to do with your spleen. And its not a serious problem. Can even be managed with diet modification alone.

Dr. Ashish Verma