• question-icon

What causes pain radiating from shoulder to elbow?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a pain that radiates from shoulder to my elbow. At first it started in the shoulder. Now; its weird; I can raise my arm with no pain; but if I turn my wrist like I'm holding a cup; it hurts really bad. Problem is; I feel the pain but I can't pinpoint it. Is it the shoulder or the elbow?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This might be suggestive of a sore tendon!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have reported. I have reviewed your information fully and because a particular movement type provokes and aggravates this pain means it is specific to a structure involved in that movement. The most common cause in such circumstances is a sore tendon, tendonitis. I will recommend that you take Ibuprofen for this 400mg thrice daily for 5days. Should this fail to significantly address this pain, then consider getting it fully evaluated at the hospital. Before then, update me with your progress for review and more insights.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
I have been with bc all week and understand I haven't stopped my normal routine. I do feel like I'm at a crossroads. I'm scheduled to go back Sunday night.
what can I do ; the pain is not stopping; but I have to still function. Is there anything I can do between now and then. yes I read your response , thought rotate cup to start, but when it went to my elbow, I thought tendon or ligaments, either way what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I recommeded Ibuprofen! See above!

Detailed Answer:

I have recommended Tylenol for relief. If tat alone s nit sufficient to control the pain entirely, please consider adding Tylenol to it. Cold packs and rest when possible are also encouraged.

I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
I thank you for your response , but I'm already taking 6oomg bcs every couple of hours.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YOu are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

If that's 600mg of Ibuprofen, please add tylenol to it. Te two together make for a more potent pain medication. If this fails, then we can get more potent pain medications only through your doctor's prescription.

I Wish you well.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah