What causes pain over the jaw while eating?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm having extreme pain in my lower jaw and in front of my ear whenever I put anything in my mouth, including water or coffee. The pain is stabbing and lasts about 30 seconds. A few minutes after I eat something the pain is severe for 3 -4 minutes, then subsides. I was stung on my lower lip by a wasp (I'm allergic) on July 7. Glands in my neck and jaw swelled and this pain that I've described started on the 9th or 10th. Doctor diagnosed parotid gland infection, prescribed augmentin for 10 days. Had no effect. I saw a ENT on 8/3, she said it was not a parotid gland problem. Doctor then decided it is Trigeminal Neuralgia, prescribed gabapentin, which has had no effect. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a month ago also and my blood sugar has been in the 225-350 range.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Pain over jaw while eating may be most likely due to trigeminal neuralgia. Other possibility may be temporomandibular joint inflammation.
You can take carbamazepine, Increase dose of gabapentin.
The effect takes some time.
You should also go through facial nerve study.
Botox injection is also an option in non responsive cases.
Surgical options are also available if diagnosis confirmed .
Blood sugar needs to be controlled more strictly.
Parotid infection if persistent needs to be treated.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 45 hours later
I'd like more information on "facial nerve study". I feel certain that this problem is a (possibly indirect) result of the wasp sting. The pain is still severe and I can't take heavy pain medication. Feeling pretty desperate after a month of this!
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Facial nerve study is a type of nerve conduction study to look for any involvement in facial and trigeminal nerve pathway.
There may be possibility of nerve injury related abberent invervation of nerves.
You should get examined by a neurologist and get nerve conduction study too.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D