What causes pain over the hip bone?

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My daughter complains about pain in her left side above her hipbone. What can that be
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain can be due to left ovary or ureter problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
Pain above hip bone on left side can be due problem in the left ovary like ovarian Cyst which causes severe pain when it gets twisted.
Another common problem which can cause pain in that area is Ureteric stone.
Both lesions can be diagnosed with Ultrasound abdomen.
Hence ,I request you to consult your doctor and get Ultrasound abdomen.
If you come back with Ultrasound abdomen report, I will clarify further.
If the Ultrasound abdomen is normal, then the pain is due to musculo skeletal cause.
Nothing to worry.
If you have any queries, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 12 minutes later
If it is musculoskeletal cause what can be administer to ease off the pain? Will naproxen be helpful or ibuprofen or aspirin ?...
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I prescribe skeletal muscle relaxant tablet.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I prescribe skeletal muscle relaxant tablet which contains chlorzoxazone as ingredient to my patients with similar complaints. But yes naproxen will ease some amount of pain.

Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 31 minutes later
What can I do to ease off pain in case of ureteric stone? What is the cause of that how does this get treated?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound abdomen should be taken first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
First of all, Ultrasound abdomen has to be taken.
You should go for specific treatment if the stones are confirmed.
There are many causes of Ureteric stone.Out of these inadequate intake of fluids is the commonest cause. Specific treatment depends on the size of the stone. Regular pain medicine may be used to ease off pain.

Please come back with Ultrasound report.