• question-icon

What causes pain on the finger tips and toes along with headaches in a teenager?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello my 13 year old son is experiencing pain in the tips of fingers and tips of toes and headaches and vomiting
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to a viral gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is possible that your son is suffering from cold stress while he has a viral infection, possibly viral gastritis. I would insist you to
-keep him warm,
-give him vitamin B complex supplements,
-give acetaminophen for the headache,
-give him (over-the-counter) lansoprazole,
-give some antiemetic like meclizine,
-give ORS (oral rehydration solution),
-give curd or yougurt.

The situation can go on for a couple of days. You would have to be patient. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 hours later
This is like the stomach flu(is your diagnosis) I am a little confused he has no flu symptoms the vomiting only occurred once and the fingers and toes have been going on for quite some time the head only occurred for a short period of time and it was not ongoing
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stomach flu is different from flu

Detailed Answer:
Stomach flu is a lay-man's term and not a medical entity. It has no relation to flu. Flu is an entirely different entity associated with cough and cold. That is not what I mean here. I would insist you to follow the suggestions and I hope that you will see an improvement. Additionally, I would recommend you to take him to a doctor as a clinical evaluation would be helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician