• question-icon

What causes pain on right side of waist?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 36 year old male weighing 63kgs ( normal BMI).
I am experiencing a pain on my right hip/waist .have marked the area in red circle in the pic.
since a few weeks I see an swelling in the same area and the pain occurs at some position of sitting/ while arising after bed rest etc.

yesterday I had to lift some luggage and the pain became more severe...same area.It was almost continuous and the swelling increased a bit.

applied Red flower oil and the pain and swelling subsided .

what could be the possible reason? what investigation do you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild muscle sprain likely.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached image. The pain and swelling that you have is likely to be due to a muscle pull or spasm in the area. . Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.
Diagnosis can be done through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.

TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce the pain. These are as follows:

1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged pain.

2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve such pain by reducing inflammation.

3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon