Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

What causes pain on my back, chest area and hurtness while sneezing and coughing?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 562 Questions
Hi, 46 female, last operation was to remove my right ovary which had a cyst, have had for a few months a dull ache middle back right hand side, does get worse and the day goes on, sneezing, coughing also hurt, sometimes feel it in my chest area, the pain can be right across the middle of my back, different food makes no difference, don't drink alcohol at all, I do smoke but not heavy, no problems with anything in the bathroom area.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Internal scar tissue Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using HCM, I would love to help, I am so sorry that you have been experiencing all of this discomfort. The pain that you describe is very non specific, which means that it seemed to be I many places and times. This of course makes it much harder to treat and diagnose. The other thing about this type of pain is that it is sometimes difficult or even impossible to know if it is all the same problem, or if there are several different problems that are affecting you all at once. Given your history though, there is a good possibility that internal scar tissue as a result of the surgery is at least a significant factor in your pain that would explain why it may hurt with coughing and sneezing and get worse throughout the day. That would be because the pressure may cause the scar tissue to pull or tug inside and cause discomfort. I don't think it explains the chest pain, not sure if that is related or not. Without being able to do an exam, I think that is the most reasonable explanation. Scar tissue will not show up on a CT scan or am ultrasound, the only way to see it is in surgery. That of course creates the ultimate conundrum, to operate is the only way to find it and fix it, but operating opens you to the risk of developing more scar tissue. Talk to your doctor about the options, I am so sorry that this is so difficult for you. Please let me know if I can be of further help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor