Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

149 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes pain on bending knees?

Answered by
Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 705 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: when I bend my knee and hold my calf to my hamstring it really hurts--it's been hurting for a week--not sure what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further information required

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for you question.

I need some further information to help answer your question.

Did you injure your knee?

Where about do you feel the pain?

Is your knee tender in any particular area?

Is it swollen?

Is there any clicking in your knee?

Has it been giving way?

Are you limping?

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 40 minutes later
I did not injure it as far as I know. When I get up from sitting and put pressure on it it tends to hurt. Walking on it doesn't seem to bother it. It hurts if I bend my knee and if I try to stretch it by lifting up my calf to reach my hamstring. The knee area hurts. No clicking that I hear and not giving way. I guess I will have to see an orthopedic doctor.
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis and further management

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms are fairly short lived at present, 1 week, and it may be that they improve spontaneously. In the meantime I would take a regular anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen if you have no contraindications to such drugs, and rest your knee.

My gut instinct based on the fact that you still have an excellent range of motion and no other symptoms is that you likely have a knee effusion i.e. some fluid in your knee joint. This can have many causes such as a viral infection to a minor tear in one of the menisci in the knee.

If your symptoms persist for more that 3-4 weeks or worsen significantly then I would seek a medical assessment and opinion at which time an Xray will be indicated ( make sure they take the AP standing ), followed by an MRI scan if the diagnosis is not obvious.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  MRI

doctor1 MD

I had a mri scan on my lower back but they saw a shadow on my liver.wich I don't feel a constant pain in the liver area but I can feel a small lump there that seems to pull a bit when I move,and it aches there when I sit down some times and I am scared of what it might be

doctor1 MD

I have an ache in my calf that started last evening. I injured the knee on the same leg two months ago, had an MRI, have a torn meniscus. Was going to have a surgery but decided to wait as it was getting better. But last night the calf started aching and I wonder if it is related or could i have a blood clot?

doctor1 MD

I was recently told I have empty sella found on a MRI. Also found low testosterone. I feel very fatiuged and can't handle stress very well. This has been going on for 3 to 5 years. Could I have a pituitary problem affecting other hormones such as cortisol. Thanks Jim C.

doctor1 MD

Can HCG cause tumors on your liver? I went on the HCG diet for 43 days FEB. 2010. Went in for a ct scan for something unrelated and they found a growth on my liver. The size of a large orange. The doctor does feel that it has been there for a long time. Just wondering if the HCG could have made it bigger. I am getting a MRI next week. Hopefully it is not cancerous.


doctor1 MD

For past 12+ hours, I’ve had left side pain from left pectoral up through left shoulder and down my left arm to my hand. Sharpest pain is in shoulder, elbow and dorsal side of forearm. Some twitching in wrist and hand.

doctor1 MD

I had a discectomy and I woke up in excruciating pain. A week later a laminectomy to stop the pain. Epidural injection,Morhine, Dilaudid , nothing helps. Something does not seem right. My Dr. has released me and says it will take a year to get...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with spondylothesis of the L5 and S1 region. I have had an mri and x-rays for my back. I had an epidural injection(2) in Nov in my back which seemed to help the pain going down my legs for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I...