What causes pain on bending knees?

Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: when I bend my knee and hold my calf to my hamstring it really hurts--it's been hurting for a week--not sure what it could be?
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further information required

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for you question.

I need some further information to help answer your question.

Did you injure your knee?

Where about do you feel the pain?

Is your knee tender in any particular area?

Is it swollen?

Is there any clicking in your knee?

Has it been giving way?

Are you limping?

Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Karl Logan 40 minutes later
I did not injure it as far as I know. When I get up from sitting and put pressure on it it tends to hurt. Walking on it doesn't seem to bother it. It hurts if I bend my knee and if I try to stretch it by lifting up my calf to reach my hamstring. The knee area hurts. No clicking that I hear and not giving way. I guess I will have to see an orthopedic doctor.
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis and further management

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms are fairly short lived at present, 1 week, and it may be that they improve spontaneously. In the meantime I would take a regular anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen if you have no contraindications to such drugs, and rest your knee.

My gut instinct based on the fact that you still have an excellent range of motion and no other symptoms is that you likely have a knee effusion i.e. some fluid in your knee joint. This can have many causes such as a viral infection to a minor tear in one of the menisci in the knee.

If your symptoms persist for more that 3-4 weeks or worsen significantly then I would seek a medical assessment and opinion at which time an Xray will be indicated ( make sure they take the AP standing ), followed by an MRI scan if the diagnosis is not obvious.

I hope this answers your question.

best wishes