What causes pain near the renal area?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Pain near right kidney but had a urine test and no blood in urine. The went to Chiropractor who adjusted my spine but this gave no relief. Next went to my Internal Doctor who ordered an x-ray that showed degenerative conditions. I had open heart surgery at age 39, pace maker at 66 and several stints with last in 1998. Recent XXXXXXX when diagnosis of pace maker revealed all graphs clean and in good condition. Due to medicine I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds.
Do I have to live with this pain? I'm scheduled to go to physical therapy next week.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscle spasm or renal stone.

Detailed Answer:

Pain near the renal area can be due to a muscle spasm related to bad posture or a renal stone. This needs an Ultrasound scan to rule out any stone.

Degenerative conditions in spine (which is already diagnosed as you've mentioned) can also cause such a pain. Taking oral muscle relaxants (milder form in your case) and applying local analgesic gels (eg. Diclofenac) and a hot compress will help.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee