What causes pain left rib radiating to back?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi I'm really scared every now and again I get pain under my left rib and sometimes goes In to my back, Pain for the last to days but has now gone , it's fine when I lie down and doesn't desturb my sleep, I'm a heavy drinker and I'm wondering if I've got pancreatic cancer as today I weighed myself and have lost 4 pound but haven't eaten much today , I'm 41 and female
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Here are a few suggestions if you are not ready to visit a doctor right now

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The location of the pain and the radiation does not necessarily indicate a possible pancreatic abnormality, but it does not rule it out either.

Based on your alcohol intake and poor appetite I suspect a gastric abnormality to be more likely, like acid reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gastritis, etc. In such a scenario I would either recommend a few things for you to try and observe if you experience an improvement or to report to a doctor for a few investigations. Let me list both out for you:

1. Here are a few suggestions which I would like you to try and write back to me in about a weeks time and let me know if they helped, and if they did then I can put forward a diagnosis:

+Drink plenty of water
+Stop alcohol completely
+Avoid or stop smoking completely
+Avoid spicy food
+Avoid fried food
+Avoid fatty food
+Avoid oily food
+Eat 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger meals
+Do not over eat at any time
+Avoid carbonated drinks
+Avoid tea and coffee
+Take one 20 mg tablet of lansoprazole once every morning for one month
+Take one tablet of ranitidine 15 minutes before every meal
+Avoid stress in all forms
+Do not leave more than 3 hours between each meal

2. Visit a doctor for an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (UGI endoscopy). This will help with making a more accurate diagnosis and allow treatment to be more accurate
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
These pains seem to be on and off for a few years that I remember , I had bloods done bout 3 yrs ago and all was fine, I'm jst convinced it's something to do wiv my pancreatitis but the doc said its more likely to be In my intestines, I think the reason I lost weight is one I haven't eaten much today and I've cut down on my drinking
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do try my suggestions and I am sure it will benefit you

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I too think its something to do with either your intestines or your stomach (your gastrointestinal tract as a whole), but less likely to be your pancreas. The first thing you can do to help get rid of this fear is to stop drinking completely, please do try ma'am. And you should know that you always have me to help.

Best wishes.
Thank u and yes I'm going to stop drinking as much not jst for the health but my weight to, I've got doctors Tuesday
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am glad to hear that and always here to help

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I am always here to help, so keep me updated and let me know what your doctor says as well. Discuss my suggestions with your doctor as well.

Best wishes.