What causes pain in upper thighs?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 16 Oct 2014 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Hello, 44 yr old female, overweight(working on that issue) have been having upper right thigh pain for 7 days now, doesnt get worse or better with exercise or rest. leg feels heavy and deep ache in thigh muscle..read online something about claudication? its obnoxious enough to keep me awake at night. havent done anything to pull leg muscle..ankles of both legs have light edema daily, and taking otc water pill gets rid of it. have been taking motrin for discomfort, but doesnt seem to help. elevating doesnt help pain either..am trying heat pad now, and switched to aspirin...am wondering if it might be a vascular issue? contemplating ordering XXXXXXX 28 to see if it helps. what do you think?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it can be nerve compression in the back

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I do not think that it is vascular claudication. Most probably it is nerve compression in the back.This causes heaviness in thigh, leg and foot.
To confirm this diagnosis i would recommend you to get x ray of the spine and MRI of the lumbar region. This will tell us how much nerve compression is there. I do not think that aspirin, any over the counter drug or XXXXXXX 28 will help. XXXXXXX 28 is for vascular problems and not for neural issues. I have following suggestion to my patients with similar complains.
1 Tablet Pregabalin and Methylcobal daily.
2.Back muscle strengthening exercises
3.Avoid lifting heavy weight, forward bending and standing for long time.
I hope these measures will help you. Let me know if there is any other followup questions. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj