What causes pain in upper leg radiating to lower back?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Arthritis
Question: I am having pain in my upper leg to my lower back, it is in my right leg if it matters. it has been going on a few days now and its not getting better. it hurts when I am laying down and turn over, as well as when I am walking and put pressure on it. what could it be?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sciatica

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, the sort of pain you are describing looks more like a nerve which has been stretched either due to a muscle sprain or prolapsed disc. I would like to ask you a few more details. We need to rule out if it is mechanical or some other cause causing this symptom:

Firstly I would like to know if you remember anywhere you lifted something heavy or strained your back too much on bending forward?

Secondly is it worse in the mornings or you feel better then?

3. In the nights, is it worse in the 2nd half or immediately when you lie down

4. ANyone in your family had a history of low backache?

5. Anytime in the past you have had redness of the eyes??

For now you can try taking some Anti inflammatory like Celecoxib and do some physiotheraphy.

Do let me know these details before I can guide you further

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 35 minutes later
1. It is possible due to me working outside most days, lifting heavy items on a daily basis.
2. I feel somewhat better in the mornings, like I am rested.
3. Immediately when I lie down it starts getting stiff.
4. My brothers habe both had back problems that I have not experienced before. As for low backaches I am not perticularly sure.
5. I have had redness in my eyes from time to time.

Thank you for the quick response.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Low back ache

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Well, it is possible that you have sprained a ligament or a muscle at your back lifting one of those items.Most of the orthopods will say it is a prolapsed inter vertebral disc. I will advise you some treatment for now, but you have to be careful in doing the activities.

1. Avoid lifting heavy weights
2. When trying to pick up something from the floor, make sure you bend your knees first rather than the spine
3. Try with some anti inflammatory medications
4. Use local Gel( VOlini spray) at the site twice a day
5. Warm water compression's over the site would be helpful as well.
6. Contact your physiotherapist. They will advise you few exercises along with infra red theraphy.

It should go off in time, but till then you have to be careful in your daily routine. If it is persisting beyond a period of 2-3 months and considering your brothers have had similar problems, then you may need further testing. TIll then we can wait

Hope the information was useful

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj