What causes pain in upper left back after having cool drinks?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I drank a glass of Pepsi before I went to bed last night (which I never do) and woke this morning with severe pain in my left upper back 1/2 way between my shoulders blades and waist.. I have heard that moving around helps release the gas pocket but it is so very painful. I have also been taking Gas-X and drinking 2 cups of peppermint tea. Is there anything else I can do to relieve this? It almost feels like I pulled a muscle that's how painful it is to move. No pain anywhere else just there.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acid reflux issue has caused this symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptom is most likely due to esophagus irritation caused by stomach acid reflux. Pepsi or any other caffeinated drink stimulates stomach to produce acid. If you drink it before sleeping you may expect heartburn during the night. Additionally sleeping position makes stomach acid reflux much easier.

To ease the pain, you should lessen stomach acid production. To do that, please try OTC antiacid medicine. You should also avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, coffee, alcohol, orange juices, chocolate.
The pain should get better gradually. As the esophagus is irritated, some time is necessary to improve its condition.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
But I am not having acid reflux. I know what that is and I've had it before. This is in my upper left back and it is painful to move.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Esophagus irritation.

Detailed Answer:
But this is not a typical acid reflux. Its rather an effect of acid reflux which has occurred during the night. This has caused some esophagus irritation. This irritation is what give the pain.
It is also possible that the pain has nothing to do with Pepsi intake. Maybe you have not been sleeping on even surface so back muscle is now strained?

Please perform simple test. Take a nip of lukewarm water or lukewarm yogurt. If this is esophagus issue, you should feel a temporal relief when swallowing it (for few seconds).
If its pulled muscle, the pain should get better after warm bath.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
So I took a nip of lukewarm water and it did ease for a couple of seconds. What can I do for this or will it gradually go away?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
This will go away in few days.

Detailed Answer:
Stop irritating the esophagus by avoiding foods mentioned in my first answer and take some antiacids. This will gradually go away and should completely disappear in few days.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon