What causes pain in upper abdomen under the ribs?
Thank you for the query.
Yes it can be an ulcer or gallstones. Gallstones pain is usually in the upper right abdomen and radiates to the back. Nausea is very characteristic.
Peptic ulcer pain is more in the upper middle abdomen and does not radiate to the back.
Both kind of pain are triggered by food intake.
For gallstones diagnostics abdominal ultrasound needs to be done. Peptic ulcer can be diagnosed with gastroscopy.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Well, peptic ulcer is a kind of wound. As there is an acid in the stomach, it is the main reason of this wound. So without blocking acid secretion, this wound can not be healed. That is why antiacids (know as PPIs) are extremely necessary to heal any ulcer. And there is one more thing. Many cases of peptic ulcers are caused by H.Pylori infection. In case of such infection antibiotics along with antiacids are necessary.
To help with the pain (without antiacids) you should change your diet. Avoid any fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee (very important), orange juice, chocolate.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nexplanon causes pain under ribs
- Cause of pain under ribs causing discomfort
- What causes pain below the ribs
- What causes pain under the right rib cage
- What causes pain in upper stomach area and ribs area
- What causes rib pain and soreness
- What causes nagging pain under ribs
- What causes pain under the rib with lightheadedness
- What causes pain under the left rib
- What causes pain on left side under ribs