What causes pain in umbilicus area after endoscopy, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy?

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am 55 y/o female. Had endoscopy, colonoscopy and capsule endoscopy 2 mos ago. Hysterectomy years ago. Also had cholysystectomy. I do have GERD and take Dexilent. I am now having a lot of pain in the umbilicus area. (Cramping/spasms). What do you think this could be? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
muscle spasms/intestinal spasms/IBS

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. There are many things that can cause this sensation including spasms in the abdominal muscles and spasms of the smooth muscles in the intestines. It could be a syndrome called irritable bowel syndrome. It is good that you have had the tests listed above to rule out more serious pathology like cancer or ulcers. There are antispasmodic that your doctor could prescribe that are safer than the librax. Many doctors do not like to prescribe medications like librax because they have some serious side effects including addiction potential, mental slowing, increased fall risk and sedation.
Antispasmodic drugs that are safer include dicyclomine and hyoscyamine.
Avoiding foods that can cause these symptoms could also be beneficial. These include dairy, gluten, high fructose corn syrup, alcohol and caffeine.
Here is a link to find more information that may be helpful to you
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/irritable-bowel-syndrome-the-basics?source=search_result&search=irritable+bowel&selectedTitle=1~150
I hope you get some relief soon
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Kathy Robinson