What causes pain in thigh?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I am a 55 year old female...I have a dull ache in my left thigh which radiates down the side of the thigh area....now also, a pin stab feeling in my left big toe....they both come and go. I did have a bad manicure and a hang nail....may be related?
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be due to nerve compression.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
Probability that toe pain can be disc bulge.
I will advise you MRI spine if pain did not reduced.
yes this can be due to bad manicure leading to local infection.
You can consult your doctor for clinical examination to rule out infection.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes pain in thigh? 9 hours later
Thanks...I think my doctor called it meralgia per esthetica....but could that reach down to cause stabbing pain in my toe too? I am thinking of getting a cortisone shot as it does not cease. I don't feel like surgery for now. Are there any other treatments for this burning thigh discomfort? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meralgia parasthetica will not reach to toe.

Detailed Answer:

There is usually numbness in this case.But you have dull ache burning pain.

As I told you MRI spine will help to diagnose any nerve compression leading to burning thigh.

After MRI I can guide regarding non surgical treatment.