What causes pain in the wrists?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I cannot make a fist without pain in the knuckles and wrist. It feels like my right thumb is out joint, also a knob in the wrist bone that is behind the little finger is very tender. I did a squeeze test and could only squeeze 20lbs.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in knuckles and wrist with a knob in the wrist bone is suggestive of tendonitis with or without a ganglion cyst.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days with rest and proper medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal