What causes pain in the upper thigh and groin area?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: what causes pain in upper thigh and groin area>
Also have the flu
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
inflammation of the hip joint? Hernia? Other causes?

Detailed Answer:

there are various potential causes for pain in the upper thigh and groin area. Inflammation of the hip joint is a common cause of pain. It's usually worse when moving the joint after rest. A hernia may also cause pain on the same location. Pain caused by hernias is usually worse when activating the abdominal muscles. Sciatica is another potential cause. Finally a muscle sprain/strain may cause pain particularly when moving the involved extremity.

The flu does not seem relevant if you only feel pain on this area. The flu may cause generalized muscle and joint pain.

Your doctor should distinguish between the various causes by the combination of a detailed history and clinical examination. In any case simple analgesics - starting with Tylenol - should help. If Tylenol is not enough then drugs like ibuprofen or mild opioids can be used (unless contraindicated - check with your doctor)

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind regards!