What causes pain in the upper right abdomen especially after eating something?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi,
for almost a year now I have been having annoying aches in my upper right abdomen. Sometimes goes to my back, sometimes goes to my left side but is mainly my right. Suspected gallstones and ultrasound came back clear. Pain has never gotten worse, but it comes and goes and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, but it does show up after I eat something.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be due to gastritis or gastric ulcers.

Detailed Answer:

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

As ultrasound report is normal a possibility is that
you have stomach ulcer.

Due to the food irritating the stomach mucosa directly as it touches it, we get pain which is related to eating.

Stomach ulcer usually causes pain soon after eating and is better a couple of hours after eating.

My suggestions are:

1. Get an endoscopy of gut done to see possibility of gastritis (inflammation of gut wall).

2. Take Tab Omeprazole twice daily its an antacid and prevent the formation of acid. Take it for 5 days and see if pain respond to it.

Hope I was helpful.

Take care,
Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D