What causes pain in the upper left quadrant of the back?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I am having a dull pain more like a cramp in the upper left hand quadrant of my back

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take an anti-inflammatory medications - rest - rubefacient liniment

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short.
To recapitulate: Female/65 - dull pain - like a cramp - upper left quadrant of back - no medication - not visited any Doctor ...
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Since when is this pain?
Any coughing/sneezing, lifting weight or incidence that started the problem?
Is it causing any problem with breathing?

As per the short history this looks to be a muscular spasm.
Please take an anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Apply a rubefacient liniment that gives warmth.
Take a rest, particularly avoid any activity that increases the pain as continued activity will delay the recovery.

I hope this answer helps you. Please give feedback.
Awaiting.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad