Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes pain in the upper back?

Answered by
Dr. Sandip Kabra

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3078 Questions

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The pain in my upper back, near my right wing area comes in waves. Not a constant pain.
Does not interfere with any activities or my sleep.
Just uncomfortable.
Should a see a doctor and what kind of doctor should I see?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try over the counter pain killer.

Detailed Answer:
welcome to HCM,

Pain over upper back,near wing area and not a constant one is likely due to muscular or musculo-skeltal origin,the first possibility I would think in your case. It may be due to muscle spasm or strain.

So,I would suggest you to try over the counter pain killer (like aleve which you are taking already) with pain killer gel or ointment (like volini gel) for symptomatic relief.

You should wait for 2 or 3 days for the relief and in case if symptoms persists even after that,I would suggest you to see orthopedic doctor for further evaluation. He may advise for the x-ray scan and other investigations.

Hope this helps. let me know if you have any more query.


Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Volini

doctor1 MD

Hi, I went for a tel yesterday and twisted my foot it seems. I took interim physiotherapist shell and they told me to take rest and gave a crape...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am getting a pain the right groin area since last night. I have been lifting weights for some time now but I did not feel any pain...

doctor1 MD

Sir i have back ace i have also done the MRI