What causes pain in the testicles along with swelling?

Dr. Priyanka G Raj

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I woke up this morning and my groin area was very swollen. I am experiencing pain in my testicles, especially while walking. Can you please help?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissues ultrasound can be done to diagnose it.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for the query.

Swelling in the groin can appear due to inguinal hernia, enlarged lymph node or just a skin lesion.

Hernia usually gives pain when pressing it, coughing or lifting heavy objects. Can disappear when lying down.
Lymph nodes are usually hard, rounded and can be movable. Mostly are painless.

Skin lesion is usually benign. It can be a lipoma or sebaceus cyst. The second one can be painful when infected.

This is the best I can tell not being able to see it or examine it.

I suggest you to consult your doctor and have soft tissues ultrasound. This test is able to determine the nature of this lump.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Dr Priyankaa G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 45 minutes later
I don't think I have a skin lesion or hernia given my limited knowledge of each.

I should add that I believe I am also suffering from frequent urination.

I went to see a doctor just a little bit ago and was told I have orchitis. Is this something you have dealt with before?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 2 days later
Brief Answer:
It is due to infection of Testicle

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again and sorry for the late reply.

Orchitis is an infection of testicle and is always associated with sever pain and other urinary symptoms like burning urination,fever etc.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis and Scrotum.

In the mean while take broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefixime along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Dr Priyanka G Raj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka G Raj 20 hours later
It's okay, I appreciate your getting back to me.

The swelling has reduced some but I am having some irritation in the end of my penis near where the pee comes out.

I went to see a urologist today and they did a bunch of different tests. I don't have the results of all of the tests yet but of the ones that have come back, they have all been negative which would seem to indicate some sort of viral infection (I think).

They didn't really offer much advice other than to apply ice to the swollen areas.

Answered by Dr. Priyanka G Raj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Attach Reports

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again.
Kindly attach the investigation report.So that i can guide you better.
Continue applying ice it gives to relief from irritation to some extent.

Dr Priyanka G Raj