What causes pain in the stitch site after a bypass surgery?

Excellent

Question
My mom had a bypass surgery. her bp and heartrate are all fine. but there is an issue with her stitches. they have been removed since 4 months. her wound has recovered but there is a burning sensation that she feels below the neck, on the starting region of her Stitches. Occurs frequently when she is moving in the car. Pain is felt near the bone acnd there sometimes occurs inflammation too.
her doctor says its normal and told her to take rest.
but first he had told her to start walking and doing regular work after 6 weeks. any medication she'd need?
Age 61
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apparently nothing of much concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.

Pain in the stitch site is very common after any surgery. The scar formed locally has less elasticity than normal body tissue. So, whenever they get stretched, they causes pain locally especially at the edges.

This occurs more when the stitch site is over sternum (the bone of central chest wall), because the normal skin is tense over that area.
There are obviously conditions that need attention. But, your mother has already been examined by her doctor.

I think your doctor has correctly reassured you after clinical assessment.
Rest was advised by him with the premise that this would help her scar avoid stretch and avoid scar dehiscence.

My advice is, your mother should avoid any activity that can produce local strain e.g. chronic cough, carrying weight, constipation etc.
Please also ask her to avoid any form of anxiety.
If the pain increases progressively, or is associated with dyspnoea or heartburn, or if there is any pus or oozing ( very uncommon after 4 mths) please contact your local doctor.

I hope I have satisfactorily answered your question. If so, please close the thread and rate my answer.
If you have any queries, please write back.
In case you have any new query in future, you can directly ask me questions @ http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-kaushik-sarkar/68460. I will try my level best to help you.
Dr. Kaushik

Follow-up: What causes pain in the stitch site after a bypass surgery? 1 hour later
please suggest any medicinal gel or something she can apply to soothen the straining cause she wont listen and take rest!

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hydrating cream

Detailed Answer:
Thanks XXXXXXX for your reply.
My recommendation is to apply some skin hydrating or emollient cream.
Aloe vera topical application cream for 3 to 5 times per day may be used.
A combination cream containing urea/hydrocortisone (10%/1%) can also be applied twice daily for 14 days.
And please tell your mother that she can perform regular activities except bearing weight or straining.
If you are satisfied with my answer please close the thread and rate my answer.
For any further questions, please write back.
Dr. Kaushik

Follow-up: What causes pain in the stitch site after a bypass surgery? 3 hours later
the doctor has hiven her a belt to tie on the chest for support. it helps but she doesnt like it. can she stop using it?
and plz tell the exact name of the medicines and ointment (i mean brandname)

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details written below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your concern in the HCM.
The doctor has correctly prescribed the belt. That provides additional support to the sternum. My opinion is, that should be used for at least 6 months. She can discontinue that afterwards if your doctor allows.
Regarding the medicines, Aloe Vera is available in its own name. Urea/Hydrocortisone cream is available as Alphaderm, U-cort, Carmol-HC etc. Whatever brand you buy, please check for that specific combination and strength.
Hope you are satisfied with my answer. If you think I have satisfactorily resolved your query, please close the thread and rate my answer. If you have any further query related to this, please write back.
Dr. Kaushik