• question-icon

What causes pain in the shoulder blades?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a pain in the spine area between the shoulder blades and seems to make the outer muscles sore outward to muscles. does not always hurt. I have been doing some really strenuous work like helping my husband build fence and cutting brush and pulling that off the fence. push mowing, moving heavy furniture aside from sitting at work for 10hours a day. but this is going on for approx. 6 weeks but I keep doing the same things . also doing flowerbeds chopping weeds etc. My doctor gave me naxoproxen and after 2weeks quit because of upset stomach.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strain due to over exertion most likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Your pain is most likely to be due to muscle strain.

The pain has been lasting for 6 weeks especially since you have been continuing to do the strenuous activities.

Please be advised to take adequate rest and avoid strenuous activities. While sitting for long hours, make sure your posture is right and the seat is comfortable.

You can also alternate ice and heat therapy on the area of pain to help reduce inflammation and pain.
Continue taking naproxen if you can tolerate it.

If the upset stomach is bothersome, take an antacid before food (Eg. Omeprazole) and then take Tylenol instead of naproxen after food.

If that does not seem to help an upset stomach, then switch to another painkiller like Tramadol that does not upset stomach.

If the pain persists even after following these measures for 7-10 days, then follow up with your physician to get Xray of the spine, to rule out vertebral injuries.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here.

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal