• question-icon

What causes pain in the shin and prominent veins on the legs?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I have recently noticed some aching in my right shin, especially at night when I am sitting. I noticed too that there are a few veins that pop out on that leg only when I am standing. The minute I elevate my leg, they disappear. I am an active person, a 52 year old female. I walk regularly, am maybe 20 lbs overweight, and have a desk job but get up frequently from my desk as I work at a school.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Varicose veins

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

I have gone through your question and seen the attached reports.

The dilated tortuous veins seen in picture are varicose veins.
Varicose veins occurs due to malfunctioning valves in the veins resulting in back flow of blood.
Some individuals experience leg pain with varicose veins.
Standing for long periods of time and obesity can cause varicose veins.
You can wear compression stockings to help relieve the pain and regulate blood flow in veins.
Avoid standing for too long
Exercise regularly and reduce weight.
I also recommend that you follow up with your primary care provider to undergo Doppler ultrasound of legs, to assess the blood flow to legs.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal