What causes pain in the right-side of the abdomen?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a mild sticking pain in the right side of my upper abdomen.
Sometimes a dull pain that radiates to the small of my back.
No acute pain. No fever. No vomiting. Still good appetite. No diarreah
Wakes me up around 4:30-5:00 A.M.
What is causing the pain ?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastritis or duodenitis with or without ulcer

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
The pain in the right side of upper abdomen that wakes you up at 4:30-5:00 am can most probably be due to duodinitis or gastritis with or without ulcer.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
PPI like Omeprazole.
Antacids particularly when on empty stomach.
Soft bland diet.
Identify the foods, beverages, factors like stress and anxiety that instigate or enhance the problem and avoid these altogether.
Get an upper GI Endoscopy and Ultrasonography done along with other tests as may be advised by your Doctor/Gastroenterologist on clinical evaluation.
I hope this answer helps you.