What causes pain in the right side of face?

Posted on Mon, 28 Sep 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi there. I am a 26 yo male who just woke up today with an isolated pain localized the right side of my face. it feels like the pain of a sunburn crossed with a mild headaches. it is like the body ache pains I experience when I get the flu with a fever minus the fever. the area is slightly warmer to the touch than my left side. there is nothing visibly different. I have experienced similar pain on the inside of my inside of my right elbow, but I had thought it due to stress. I live in chronic stress, which I know is damaging. My whole body seems somewhat achy an, once again in a very flu like way. Other than the pain and sensitivity there seems to be no other symptoms aside from my seasonal allergies. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Several possible causes.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That type of pain could be in the setting of a trigeminal neuralgia. It is unclear from your description though whether the pain is continuous or in the form of short-lasting episodes. Trigeminal neuralgia pain is usually a lancinating pain with repeated episodes lasting only for some seconds, often triggered by touch.

If that description doesn't correspond and it is persistent pain then it could be a dental issue, a tooth infection in your upper jaw on that side.
Another possible cause may be sinusitis, involving the maxillary sinus on that side. This diagnosis would be more probable if you have nasal congestion and discharge.

At times problems of the joint joining your mandible with the skull can cause that type of pain as well, called temporo mandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction.

So for the moment I would advise over the counter painkillers like Ibuprofen and if pain is persistent a visit either at your primary physician or at your dentist (since a dentist would be the most appropriate specialist for both tooth infection an TMJ dysfunction) would be the first diagnostic step.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
The pain occurred suddenly only on the right side of my face. I first felt it when I woke up. I have been working and the pain remains and seems to get really bad around my right eye when I'm feeling stressed. It even hurts a little when I blink my eye.

I do have TMJ and I also have been congested for several days although I've written it off as allergies. the pain is mainly on my right temple and right eye area but the sensitivity of felt on my entire right face.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis more likely

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for that additional info.

Based on that info I would say that sinusitis is the most probable cause, the other ones are less likely.
Initial management is only Ibuprofen for the pain ans nasal decongestants to facilitate sinus drainage, often that is enough. If the pain persists over the next 3-4 days (or if worsening earlier) should visit your primary physician to confirm the diagnosis and consider prescription of antibiotics.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist