What causes pain in the right flank with blood in urine?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I think i have a kidney infection my right flank is hurting and i am having some blood in my urine.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get the proper diagnosis and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/39 - pain in right flank - some blood in urine - thinks this to he Kidney infection.
Yes, I do agree with you. Your symptoms are suggestive of the same.
Since you are 39, I would advise you the following;
Send the sample of urine for: Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity before the antibiotic is started.
Tests of blood.
Ultrasonography of the abdomen to start with followed by CT scan for confirmation, if required.
All these investigations and the clinical evaluation by your Doctor to correlate the clinical findings will get us the correct diagnosis and a plan for further management.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
When should i see a doctor? I am not insured at the moment and only a urgent care or an ER would suffice for now. What can be done about the pain in the meantime? Ive been taking ibup 800 every 6 hours followed by tylenol 500extra strength every 4 hours. Nothing is touching it at the moment.
Brief Answer:
ER ASAP

Detailed Answer:
So much pain that the medicines you are taking is not relieving, right flank pain and blood in urine indicate that there may be a stone or a clot in the urinary system; impaction does not allow the pain to subside.
See the Doctor ASAP- as soon as possible.
You may need painkiller and anti-spasmodic like Dicyclomin.
Urgent tests of urine, blood; X-ray of the abdomen and ultrasound to see the status of the urinary system as well as find out the cause like a stone, obstruction and level of infection to get started on proper management as per the reports.