Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
126 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes pain in the right flank with blood in urine?

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 17748 Questions

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I think i have a kidney infection my right flank is hurting and i am having some blood in my urine.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get the proper diagnosis and treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/39 - pain in right flank - some blood in urine - thinks this to he Kidney infection.
Yes, I do agree with you. Your symptoms are suggestive of the same.
Since you are 39, I would advise you the following;
Send the sample of urine for: Routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity before the antibiotic is started.
Tests of blood.
Ultrasonography of the abdomen to start with followed by CT scan for confirmation, if required.
All these investigations and the clinical evaluation by your Doctor to correlate the clinical findings will get us the correct diagnosis and a plan for further management.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
When should i see a doctor? I am not insured at the moment and only a urgent care or an ER would suffice for now. What can be done about the pain in the meantime? Ive been taking ibup 800 every 6 hours followed by tylenol 500extra strength every 4 hours. Nothing is touching it at the moment.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
So much pain that the medicines you are taking is not relieving, right flank pain and blood in urine indicate that there may be a stone or a clot in the urinary system; impaction does not allow the pain to subside.
See the Doctor ASAP- as soon as possible.
You may need painkiller and anti-spasmodic like Dicyclomin.
Urgent tests of urine, blood; X-ray of the abdomen and ultrasound to see the status of the urinary system as well as find out the cause like a stone, obstruction and level of infection to get started on proper management as per the reports.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78...

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some...