• question-icon

What causes pain in the right elbow while on Naproxen?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My right elbow has been aching for weeks. Hurts to move it, but not when still. Dull ache. Not too intense, but still there. Took 440 mg of naproxen sodium at night in my first attempt to get relief a few weeks ago. Awoke without pain the next morning. Lasted almost 3 days, but then it came back. Next time I tried it, was not as effective. Now my right ankle is starting to get some of the same ache, though not as bad. 54 yrs old, slightly elevated BP, 5'9" 200lbs./a little overweight. Normally healthy.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be tennis elbow

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
Going by pain description , to me , it appears to be Tennis Elbow pain . I recommend pain killers regularly for 2-3 weeks ,avoid any strain on elbow and do hot fomentation. Some T Elbow supports are available in the market( Tennis Elbow Splint), use them for 3-4 weeks.
If you do not have relief with this treatment , then you might require local steroid injection.
Thanx for the question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon