• question-icon

What causes pain in the right buttock?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been getting this pain in my right buttock it feels like I am sitting on a rock or something. It went away for a few days but is now back.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle, nerve or joint involvement

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
From your description, a muscle, nerve or joint involvement is possible. This get a clear idea as to the cause, I need more information as to whether this pain is related to any prior activity such as trauma, fall or sitting on a hard surface for a long time, whether it involves only the buttock or does it also shoot down the leg, is it related to any other kind of movement.
In any case, whether it is a muscle, nerve, joint or a combination of all three pain, applying ice on the area, using diclofenac gel 2-3 times per day on the area and taking Ibuprofen should bring relief and resolve the pain. This kind of pain can literally and figuratively be a pain in the butt because it tends to linger for a while, however if it goes on for more than a week without relief then I recommend you see a doctor for a physical check up and further investigation.
I hope this helps.
Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi