What causes pain in the ribs?

Question
I'm having pain under my last rib on the left side.
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
hi,
can you describe more about pain? how it's character, when does it increase or decrease? any relationship with food or physical activity? how long is this pain? did you ever seek medical help in the past for similar pain?
do you have high BP/ diabetes/ asthma/ peptic ulcer?

Follow-up: What causes pain in the ribs? 17 minutes later
It's a sharp Pain that comes & goes. It's been going on for awhile. I have high blood pressure. I have not gone to see my PCP.

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nerve pain

Detailed Answer:
Sharp pains that are spontaneous and do not last longer than 15 minutes should be related to nerves. So intercostal nerves should be first thing in mind. If everything else seems within normal limits we prescribe pregabalin / Gabapentin for a week as a trial. I recommend a full fledged PCP examination.
Although it does not sound serious but it can warrant an impending ailment.
Check for BP, if it is higher than 180 you should get ekg done.